This page provides a simple method to get the Notes app open in just a swipe and a tap from any screen on your iPhone so you can quickly write a note or an idea.
The Notes app is a basic app that is usually pre-installed on all Apple iPhones (and other iOS devices) that lets you can capture a quick idea, create checklists, sketch thoughts, and more. And if you’re using iCloud, your Notes will update as you edit or create them across all your devices.
The thing about ideas or creative thoughts though is – sometimes you’ve got to get thesm written down quickly before you forget them. Luckily, the iPhone has an easy trick to getting quick access to Notes no matter what screen you’re on – like your lock screen – or if you’re using another app – like Instagram or playing Minecraft.
Continue with our guide to set up a quick shortcut for getting Notes open in just a swipe and a tap. There are a couple quick steps to take and then you’re all set!
1) Using the Control Center
You’re probably familiar with the Control Center, but maybe don’t know what it’s called or that you can add or remove apps.
- Swipe down from the top-right corner of your screen (on iPhone X or later).
- Swipe up from the bottom edge of any screen (iPhone SE, iPhone 8 and earlier, and iPod touch).
This is your Control Center. You’ve probably already got a bunch of icons in there.
This is where you want to add Notes because Control Center gives you instant access from any app or screen with just a swipe.
2) How to Add Notes App to the Control Center
When you go to add Notes to the Control Center, look for the Notes name as the indicator because the app icon is a little different in this menu. Here’s the steps so you can get it added:
- From your iPhone, navigate to and open Settings.
- Tap Control Center.
- Make sure the Access Within Apps toggle is selected. This is so you can open from any in-progress app.
- Scroll down to the More Controls section.
- Tap the Plus Sign next to Notes. This is the Notes app (the different logo appears next to the name).
Notes is now added to the Control Center!
3) How to Write a Note from the Control Center
You can now write a Note with a single swipe and a tap – that’s quicker than scrolling through a bunch of screens or folders!
- When you get an idea or have to quickly write something down (like a license plate):
- iPhone X or later: Swipe down from the top-right corner of your screen, then tap the Notes icon.
- iPhone SE, iPhone 8 and earlier, and iPod touch: Swipe up from the bottom edge of any screen, then tap the Notes icon.
- When the app opens, hit the compose button and start typing. Boom – you’ve got your note!