The Apple iPhone 12 Pro can download any number of apps that can play podcasts, but one of the most popular to use is Apple’s own Podcasts app.
With the Podcasts app, you get a lot of built-in audio functionality so you can listen to podcasts with the settings that work best for you.
However, more settings mean more opportunities to change settings by accident and now you’re stuck with no idea how to get it back to the previous setting. You could also run into recurring problems and not know whey it keeps happening.
One of the common issues with the Podcasts app is you might be listening to one and it suddenly starts playing at a faster speed seemingly all on its own. Continue with our guide so you can solve this issue and fix it faster if it happens again.
Common Cause of Podcasts Speed Issue
Identifying the problem is the first step into solving future recurrences with your Podcast suddenly speeding up.
Hitting the button is extremely easy due to the highly sensitive nature of an iPhone’s touch screen, the location of the setting, and the less-than-prominent featuring of the playback speed button.
This can easily happen when taking your phone out of your pocket, looking at the details of the currently playing podcast, or if you’re an Apple Watch user – indirect contact from another object (it was literally driving us mad trying to figure this out previously).
Below we’ll show you where the speed button is so you can easily find and access it if this issue happens again.
And don’t worry, this guide won’t end with telling you to simply update the software or reset your device to factory settings. While those actions do fix a lot of problems, this guide is meant to resolve without that level or troubleshooting.
How to adjust podcasts speed on an Apple iPhone – if a podcast IS playing or active
If you’re currently playing a podcast, getting to the setting is simple:
- From the iPhone lock screen, tap the Podcast widget.
- When the podcast opens, tap the Playback Speed icon in the lower-left corner.
- The current play speed appears.
- 1X speed is the normal speed setting.
- If it’s anything other than 1X, the speed setting has been changed.
- Tap the Playback Speed number multiple times to cycle through until Playback Speed is at the desired speed setting.
How to adjust podcasts speed on an Apple iPhone – if NO podcast is playing or active
- Navigate to and tap the Podcasts app.
- You need to start listening to an episode for the setting to appear.
- Tap the player at the bottom to expand the audio controls.
- Tap the Playback Speed button to choose a speed (1X is standard speed).
How to adjust podcasts speed on an Apple Watch
The option to change the speed only appears when you’re actively playing a podcast on your Apple Watch.
- This is a common cause of the speed playback issue because the iPhone conveniently pairs with the Podcast app on the Apple Watch.
- You may have seen the Podcast screen on your watch without even having to set anything up.
- The Apple Watch screen is very sensitive and when a podcast is playing, your Apple Watch will default to putting the podcast playback right on the face of the watch.
- This makes it easy to hit or bump the button without knowing.
- Even shower water droplets will interact with this button!
Here’s how to find and change the playback speed on the watch
If the Watch screen already has the podcast open: Look in the lower left for the playback speed, then tap the Speed until you reach the desired setting (1X is standard speed).
If the Watch screen does NOT have the podcast open but it’s playing:
Step 1 – Tap the small podcast icon at the top of the Watch.
Step 2 – Once the podcast opens, tap the Speed until you reach the desired setting (1X is standard speed).