This guide provides quick instructions so you can add or remove a table Total or sum row in a Microsoft Excel table so you can add up numbers in the cells, or perform other built-in formula functions.
You may KNOW there’s a simple solution to add or remove a total row using Excel’s built-in functionality, but don’t know exactly where to look or what to use in Excel to get the header row options to appear.
For example, you’ve added a table in Excel that’s 8 across and 10 down and have populated it with number data. Now you want to get the sum of those numbers to appear at the bottom of each column but don’t know the simple option for it.
Continue with the guide below to add or remove a total row from your table in Microsoft Excel.
Add or remove a table Total row – Simple steps
- Open the Excel file on your computer that contains the headers.
- Click anywhere within the table.
- Click the Table Design option that now appears in the top menu.
- Check the checkbox for Total Row to include a Total row, or clear the checkbox to remove the Total row.
- Look at your table – the Total row has been added or removed! You can toggle between the options.
- Optional: Click the drop down next to the total to change the formula.